Friday, December 3, 2010

Night Owl

He loves to eat, just like Logan.

He is easily coaxed to smile, like Lane.

He is easy-going, like Emma Jane.

BUT, unlike his siblings, he does not care too much for sleeping at night. He is still up twice nearly every night. He's so perfectly plump that I know he has no need to eat. (See the cheeks above.) I think he just wakes up and can't seem to put himself back to sleep.

In our old house, I would have simply closed his bedroom door, turned off the monitor and left him to put himself back to sleep. Here in our apartment, though, there is a lower crying threshold, particularly because we have neighbors above and below us. And did I mention that one of those neighbors is our landlord?

So each night, I eventually rescue a wailing baby from his crib, snuggle him or feed him, and then return him to his bed. The most surprising thing to me is that I don't mind. I have had no more than 6 hours of consecutive sleep for 6 months (and no naps), and it's okay with me. I've contemplated this for awhile, and talked it over with other people, and in Melissa fashion, have come up with a two part explanation for it all.

One, I have had an unusual amount of strength over the last six months. I don't mean that I can lift heavy objects. I'm still a weakling in that category. I mean that I have the stamina to do the next thing, to meet the next need. I have experienced the Lord equipping me with the physical strength that I have needed day after day to care for all 4 of these little children. He gets the credit for energizing my 30 something body!

Second, I am a much wiser mommy than I was with baby #1. Now I know that the little baby phase is short. Before I know it, he'll be talking, running and taking his own trips to the ER just like his brothers. So I'll take the extra snuggles and cuddles with him, no matter what time of day they come. Eli truly is a blessing from the Lord.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Yes, we finally learned with baby #4 to enjoy the snuggles because time just goes by so quickly. So glad the Lord is giving you the strength to meet all the needs that having four children brings. You really will get to sleep through the night eventually, and you'll not even be able to remember how tired you really were.

abbyshuman said...

Mel - just read this. I'm doing the same late at night or early in the AM. It's fun to actually just relax and enjoy it. thinking of you....in the middle of the night.