Thursday, August 5, 2010

Criminal Preschool Activity

It's midnight and I'm blogging. All 4 kids and Derrick are tucked away in bed, and it's quiet in our little apartment. I have been reluctant to blog over the last few years because I didn't have much material. Now that we've moved to the city, everyday seems like an adventure. It has been 3 weeks now, so I've accumulated quite a list of interesting experiences. What story should I tell first?

"Driving the Wrong Direction on a One Way Street"

"You Must Be Mexican To Have So Many Children"

"Play Group"

At church one Sunday I was invited to join a playgroup at a park. It sounded like something good for me and the kids to do, so I agreed to come. Up until this point I had been quite nervous about driving in the city on my own. This was my first independent outing, and we were going to a new park. I loaded the kids into the van, turned on the GPS and set out for the park.

As I arrived, I felt a sense of accomplishment. I was thinking, "I can drive in Chicago. It's not so difficult. We're going to be just fine".

I circled the park, looking for a street parking spot. Suddenly two police cars zipped in front of me and pulled into the adjacent lot. Four policemen jumped out of the car with guns raised and ran towards a man out front. I watched the pursuit and felt a sense of panic wash all over me.

"What kind of place is this?" I wondered. "This isn't safe. I'm not taking my kids to this playground".

I circled the park once again, then decided to stay against my better judgment. The playground was full of children, and no one else seemed concerned about the scene playing out next door. I took a few minutes to collect myself. After that, we got out of the car and made our way to the playground.

I met up with the other moms and kept what I had witnessed to myself.

About an hour later, I glanced back over at that adjacent lot. The same scene was playing out again! Two police cars, four policemen pursuing a man...Finally, I asked another mom if she was aware of what was going on. She explained that it was a police training center.

I had not witnessed a crime. I had witnessed a training exercise.

Maybe this place isn't so bad after all.

More stories to come!

6 comments:

volscats said...

Melissa - Shari here! I am going to love hearing your stories in the big windy city. I think the best part about being in Tokyo is all of the fun adventures you are exposed to. Praying your transition goes smoothly. Keep writing!

Julie www.aboutourhouse.blogspot.com said...

that story is hilarious! so glad you're blogging and I can keep up with your life in the city! miss you friend!

Emily Cernoia said...

I love it!!

Katie said...

LOL! Oh my I would have freaked and then drove back to where I came from.

Sheri said...

OK, I was getting worried for you as I read that. But, too funny! I've been checking this blog to see if you had decided to start writing again now that you're moved. SO glad you have so that we can keep up with what's happening in your lives! We miss you!

Abigail Bennett said...

Hilarious Melissa. I am impressed that you went anyway even though Derrick was not there to push you out of your comfort zone. City life truly is a new culture isn't it? :) can't wait to hear more of your adventures.