Thursday, August 12, 2010

Here's Eli

Here are some recent pictures of Eli. I can't believe he is already 9 weeks-old!








Here he is laying under the play gym. He likes it, but it's not the safest spot when you have 3
siblings running around you.
A sweet smile...


And a squeaky laugh.






He still sleeps in a swaddling blanket (nicknamed the baby straight jacket). It seems to keep him from startling and waking himself up. Otherwise, Eli is a great napper and can sleep through anything.






Though my attention is divided between 4 children, Eli is not neglected. Emma Jane is very nurturing and helpful. She definitely still needs supervision, as demonstrated by the time she put a saltine cracker in six-week old Eli's mouth! Besides giving me a good scare, there was no harm done. Logan also likes to help with Eli, but only in one minute intervals. Then he's off to something else.

As I look at Eli, sometimes my mind goes back to this exact time last year. It was then that I found out I was pregnant, not with him, but another little baby. How painful, both physically and emotionally, to lose that baby. Yet it was only because of that loss that eventually Eli came to be. I am reminded of Job's words,
"The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."
I don't understand why things happened the way they did, but I know that Eli's life is a blessing from the Lord. I am thrilled to have him as the newest addition to our family.



2 comments:

Julie www.aboutourhouse.blogspot.com said...

I was just thinking of that the verse this morning as I was thinking of Emery Joy. The Lord is the Great Redeemer! How thankful I am that He redeems the pain and continues to bless us! I love that sweet Eli, I just want to kiss those chubby cheeks!

Erica said...

he is so precious melissa! love reading your blog and seeing how you all are doing! i don't think i knew about last year---but i was so out of pocket with a 2 1/2 year old, 14 month old and newborn...so i feel like i never saw anyone or knew what was going on with anyone for months! wish we could have hung out more....i'm sure reed and logan would have enjoyed it being days apart :) glad to keep up with you via blogland! take care! and he definitely is a blessing indeed!