Monday, August 30, 2010

Miracle On Our Street

After days of anticipation, opening day of the festival finally came. Derrick had to work late that night, so I strapped Eli into the Bjorn and headed downstairs and outside. For their first ride, EJ and Logan chose a rickety roller coaster. As I looked around at all the kiddy rides, it seemed to be the most daring. I was really surprised by their choice. Neither one of them is particularly brave. I think that's a trait passed on to them from their mother. After the ride, we sipped on snow cones in the beer garden and listened to the live music. Loud crying from a hungry Eli ended round 1 of the carnival festivities.
Saturday evening Derrick took the kids once again. They rode more rides. Emma Jane kept talking about the "miracle-go-round". No matter how many times we corrected her, she continued to call the spinning cars the miracle-go-round. I guess when you're a kid, it seems like a miracle when a carnival parks itself in front of your bedroom window.
During the night, the rides, booths and port-a-potties were packed up. What took 3 days to set up disappeared in a matter of hours. By the time we got up this morning, there were very few signs of the party that had just been there. The kids were a little disappointed but had forgotten by the afternoon. Fortunately, we have a fun holiday weekend with family coming. Now they are busy anticipating that. I think when you're a child, the anticipation of something exciting is as much fun as the event itself.

No comments: