
Last week was a week of milestones. Emma Jane started kindergarten! I have been thinking and planning for this for so long that I can't believe it's finally here. Even though we're homeschooling, it feels like something has changed.
To help mark the significance of the her first day of school, the night before we all walked to Forever Yogurt. It's a self-serve frozen yogurt restaurant where you can also add your own toppings. It was a fun way to celebrate her special occasion. And by the time we walked the two miles round trip (yes, even EJ and Logan), we burned off most of the calories! That's a benefit to living in the city.
As if starting school was not enough, Emma Jane ended the week by losing her first tooth! I didn't even know it was loose! She was quite brave about the whole matter. Derrick asked her if he could pull it out, and she agreed. That was it. She was so proud.
Later that evening, she placed her little tooth in an envelope and labeled the outside, "Tooth Fairy, Emma Jane Snyder". When we checked in on her later that night, she was asleep with the envelope in her hand.
She awoke this morning to find four shiny quarters under her pillow. I suspect the tooth fairy dipped into the quarter jar for the coin laundry in the basement. A definite drawback to living in the city. Anyway, Emma Jane is quite proud of her new smile!
It was fun to watch her excitement over this childhood accomplishment, but I couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness. I remember when that little tooth came in 5 years ago. And now it's gone. We're on to a new phase. I'm excited about the school years and what is to come next. It is such a privilege to be able to share all these sweet moments with her.

1 comment:
I love this. What sweet memories you are building with your kids. Donald Miller's new book "A Million miles In A Thousand Years" is all about writing a story worth living for. I think you and Derrick are creating a beautiful one.
I am jealous about the yogurt shop within walking distance. Those places were one of my favorite things in New York. Perfect choice for a celebration!
Post a Comment